National guard while collecting VA disability?

Postby madntyre78 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:25 am

I was on active duty for 3 years at ft bragg I sighned a guard contract 98 days befor ets . I had a very bad airborne ops accident on 92 befor ets . I had a double fractured back and a tramatic brain injury and many disc issues in lower and upper back around C spine . active duty let me out process and show up at my maryland national guard unit messed up . I have been at my unit for a year on profile while going to many doctors appointments a week . I am rated at 90% threw the va . I am driving from NC to MD 9 hours for drill . my unit has told me I have to wait for a med board to get out . they say it will take 12 to 18 months . I dont want to drive to my unit any more due to gas and time and wear and tear on my car . my qestion is can I IST while trying to med board or can I go IRR while trying to med board or is there a fasterway to med board or get out with my issue .
madntyre78

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sowingwa » Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 am

Put in a request to go IRR.
sowingwa

Postby percy » Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 am

You can be a traditional National Guard member and receive VA disability compensation. However, you cannot receive VA compensation for the same time period that you receive military pay. For typical 'traditional' Guard members, this means 63 days of military pay (48 UTAs and 15 AT). Any Active Duty Operational Support Guard program (aka ADSW), RMA, etc. counts as military pay as well. If you are AGR or mobilized, you will be receiving military pay 24/7, and must stop VA compensation immediately, or you will become indebted to the Federal Government.
percy

Return to General Lawyer Discussion