How much settlement money for a car accident?

Postby llyn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

i was involved in a car accident a month ago and my attorneys are from Ken Nugent. I missed work for a month and i'm still going through therapy that will last for a month and a half. My lower back and neck and really sprained and sore an my medical bills have added up nearly $20,000. How much of settlement can I get from all of this?
llyn

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iniss16 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Unless a doctor states you were unable to work for a month, this will not be considered. They could give you a couple of days lost wages and that is it.

Sounds like you are going to a chiropractor and if so, reduces the value of any settlement vs going to physical therapy. Sounds like whiplash, which resolves w/in 1 to 3 months.

After you are done treating, then the adjuster will get all your medical reports from the doctors that treated you and then make an evaluation of what your injury is worth.

So after they review this, and make an offer to settle, then the medical bills will be reimbursed, "maybe" some lost wages, then the lawyer will take his 1/3 cut, and what is left over will be yours.

You may get anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand, if you are lucky. But don't make plans with what you what to use the money till you find out how much or how little you will get. If the lawyers you hired advertise on TV or billboards, then your case is worth even less, since they will charge more (to advertise) or could be considered one of those "ambulance chasing" lawyers and not respected by most insurance companies.

good luck
iniss16

Postby julio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Why do you even have attorneys? Clearly you think more of people on Yahoo then THEM. Oh wait I know you are going to tell THEM what it is worth and they will get you that amount right? Basically you take what the missed time cost you(if you have disability from work then that is money you are getting still, so you take that off whatever you'd normally make in a month) as well as medical costs. That is what it is worth. You also add in repair costs, or the car's value(NOT the cost of a new one) and at that point keep in mind that the lawyers are likely going to take a slice. Let the lawyers know all YOUR costs and ask what THEIR costs are and then added together should be the least you will take.
julio

Postby ellsworth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Why do you even have attorneys? Clearly you think more of people on Yahoo then THEM. Oh wait I know you are going to tell THEM what it is worth and they will get you that amount right? Basically you take what the missed time cost you(if you have disability from work then that is money you are getting still, so you take that off whatever you'd normally make in a month) as well as medical costs. That is what it is worth. You also add in repair costs, or the car's value(NOT the cost of a new one) and at that point keep in mind that the lawyers are likely going to take a slice. Let the lawyers know all YOUR costs and ask what THEIR costs are and then added together should be the least you will take.
My parents went through this. They finally got most of it almost 3 years later. Keep every receipt and document everything in a diary, go to traffic court case if any from either side. Big firms will never help you if they cant settle quick. Find a small but tenacious lawyer, go back to work as soon as you can, never never skip therapy cause you stop healing when you do. It may take some time but if you dont get results in a timely manner, remember there is a time limit to file a case in court
accident lawyer car accident lawyer big rig accident lawyer accident attorney car accident attorney
ellsworth

Postby haniel15 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Ask your attorneys, they're the one who is going to be making the biggest chunk of cash, make him work for it.
Pain and suffering awards are based on the severity and extent of injuries, not how much your medical bills totaled. You could have racked up $20 grand in chiropractor bills, which pretty much gets you nothing.
haniel15

Return to General Lawyer Discussion