Do you need to be good at high school math to be successful with a major in business or economics?

Do you need to be good at high school math to be successful with a major in business or economics?

Postby osckar23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Im a high shool senior, I want to someday go to law school and become a lawyer but that is very difficult financially if you major in pre-law or political sciences. I want to major in business or economics because it has a very wide varitey of careers they can be applied to, hence it willbe easier for me to start a prosperous career while in persuit of becoming a lawyer. But in high school ive taken average mathematics classes like algebra, algebra 2, geometry and have not enjoyed it or found it easy but have passed usually with a solid B but struggled. I just dont want it to be some impossible hardcore constant math. I believe business or economics has many possibilities and thats what I want most out of a major. Except for liberal arts, too broad.
osckar23

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby colfre3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm

I am in high school currently and am taking a college level economics course. I am currently taking college level calculus as well but I find the math is very straightforward. Usually no math is used, but with graphs and equations you will only need basic knowledge of algebra and some light calculus. I believe you could handle it.
colfre3

Postby iseul23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 pm

for business, you will need the basic algebra and many students are required to take a class in statistics and business calculus. Econ will require similar math classes too and it usually involves a little more math than business stuff. I think in business, basic math shows up more than stuff like trig, pre-calc or even calc.

Business or econ are good areas to go for.
iseul23

Return to General Lawyer Discussion