Can a teen DRIVE a rental car?

Postby daryll » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:19 pm

My grandmother and her sister are flying out from boston to las vegas to I guess go sight seeing. My grandmother wants me to rent a car and drive to las vegas and then all three of us drive back home to Los angeles. shes trying to save money and renting a car would be cheaper than flying when i compared the two. Since I'm only 16 i want to know if I can drive the car. my mother is going to rent the car in her name but im going to drive it, had to clarify that so people know what im asking. i know they require certain ages to rent certain types of cars. I'm not a bad driver. I've driven in 2+ hour car rides. never had an accident, never ticketed. i know this is a four hour car ride which is no problem. im not driving an suv, which my grandmother wanted that, but i dont wanna drive a car with poor mpg when i have to drive 248 miles. I'm renting a ford taurus, however you spell it. it a sedan. driven all kinds of cars from suvs to coupes. i just wanted to know. :)
accident lawyer car accident lawyer big rig accident lawyer accident attorney car accident attorney
daryll

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby laurens » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:20 pm

If you are driving a car, underage, rented in someone else's name and you get into an accident, the rental company will come after both you and the person who *is* on the rental agreement.

If you're driving it by yourself and you aren't on the rental contract (which you wouldn't be), and get pulled over by the police, you can be arrested, with the charges basically being the same as stealing a car.

Those are the simple answers. The only real way that you might ever legally drive someone else's rented car would be to go through a lengthy legal process with insurance companies and agreements between you, the primary renter and the rental company.
laurens

Postby jerrad » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 pm

D&S's Bunch is correct, but may not have been direct enough.

"My grandmother wants me to rent a car" - You cannot rent a car. You cannot legally sign a contract.

"my mother is going to rent the car in her name" - She is renting the car and she can drive it. The rental car company will not allow you as a driver on the contract. They may allow an 18 year old, they prefer 25, they charge premiums for younger. At 16, I would think not a chance you would be on the contract as a driver of the car. All insurance is voided. You cannot get permission to use the car.

You are not renting anything. You can go to jail if caught driving it. A police officer would look for a licensed driver in the car while they ticket you for driving without a license. Then they would take the car and impound it. If your grandmother and great aunt did not end up also in jail, they would be on a desert highway somewhere between LA and Las Vegas.

People should not do illegal things and then wonder why it gets bad if they get caught doing it.
Your permit, by the way, would be as good as toilet paper until you are 21.
jerrad

Postby chaney » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 pm

You can drive it if you have a person over 18. Most company's don't let you rent or drive do to the fact of insurance reasons. Just don't tell them or get pulled over and you will be fine.
chaney

Postby archenhaud » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 pm

You can drive it if you have a person over 18. Most company's don't let you rent or drive do to the fact of insurance reasons. Just don't tell them or get pulled over and you will be fine.
You will likely have to be listed as a driver of the vehicle that is rented by your mother. Since you aren't an adult, and will be listed as a driver, the cost will be very high because the car rental agency will likely require insurance on the vehicle if they allow a minor to drive it at all. You said you've never had an accident or ticket, but the statics aren't in your favor. Young drivers have more accidents than any other age group.
accident lawyer car accident lawyer big rig accident lawyer accident attorney car accident attorney
archenhaud

Return to General Lawyer Discussion