1-2 mm lumbar bulging disc on MRI please help?

Postby taaveti57 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:02 pm

My chiropractor ordered an MRI after I experienced increased severe groin, hip, leg and back pain two months after a car accident. The pain seemed dull at first and suddenly increased to the point where I lost mobility of my leg.

I also injured my mid back, I felt a sharp pain during the impact and it's been bothering me ever since. My chiro doesn't seem concerned with this and said the thoracic can't cause pain in that area, so he only ordered and MRI of my lumbar.
Results
L4/5 shows loss of disc space and 1-2 mm disc annulus bulge slightly indenting thecal sac.
L/5/S1 shows loss of disc space signal, mildly prominent facets, and 2 mm disc bulge vs disc herniation minimally indenting thecal sac, if at all. Left foramen slightly reduced.

He said that these types of bulges would not cause the pain I experienced.. And ruled the pain as a muscle injury. Has anyone ever had pain from these types of bulges?
Can the thoracic (even lower thoracic) cause pain in this area too?
Thanks
taaveti57

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tyg73 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Wow! Get a new doctor! Fast! The hip/leg pain can definitely be coming from the injury @ L5. Get a referral to a neurosurgeon. You have symptoms of sciatica. The sciatic nerve leaves the spinal column @ L5 goes through the hips/buttocks down the backs of the legs.

The groin pain could be coming from the S1 injury. I recently had surgery to help relieve pressure caused by a similar MRI result, but my MRI was not as severe as yours. The leg pain and mobility issues were bad, but so was the pain in my groin every time I took a step.

I had to see 3 different neuro doctors. The first two said that since the pain in my leg wasn't in the very back of my leg, it couldn't be my sciatic nerve. The 3rd one I saw said every body can vary slightly. His treatment worked the way he said it would. Even though my leg pain was more on the side than in the back, he knew what to do. Those other docs obviously had their heads in their butts. If the pain wasn't my sciatic nerver, then why did the surgery to relieve pressure from my sciatic nerve fix the pain?
accident lawyer car accident lawyer big rig accident lawyer accident attorney car accident attorney
tyg73

Postby chappy55 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Those findings are very minimal. I am surprised they even mentioned a 1-2mm bulge. You see, it takes 25mm to make 1 inch. So, the 1-2mm equals less than 1/10th of an inch. Just like tires on the car, a slight bulge like that in a tire would not affect your ride.

The last thing you need is a surgery you do not need.

BTW, did you know that at that level of the spine, the nerves are floating in the CS fluid? They can easily float past a 1-2mm bulge without difficulty.
If you still feel strongly that it is the problem, then a competent neurologist should be able to find EMG changes that would support/confirm any injury/irritation to the nerves of the leg.
accident lawyer car accident lawyer big rig accident lawyer accident attorney car accident attorney
chappy55

Postby maolmin » Sat May 19, 2012 7:11 pm

If your pain is caused by the bulging discs than decompression exercises should give you some good relief. You can try a few of them at home, like this one, hope it helps:

http://www.natural-alternative-therapies.com/spinal-decompression-exercises/
maolmin

Return to General Lawyer Discussion